Backspace


I had just finished my first year in New York City. It was finally Summers . A summer of possibilities , of new experiences and also realizations. I was moving to Cambridge , MA for a summer job . I wasn’t happy. I wanted to go boating in Central Park , or just watch people doing yoga . I wanted to buy myself an ice-cream from Morgenstern’s while gazing at the sky scrapers in downtown . But in a weeks time , I landed myself in a quiet neighborhood in Cambridge . A neighborhood with colorful houses and strange silences . Occasionally me and my neighbor , a gawky teenager with round glasses would exchange glances from our attics , lit by neon lights . On weekends , I would go to bars , order myself drinks and just think of my life back in New York . But thats it . Something was missing . With a lot of gumption , one Friday night , I thought of installing a dating app on my phone . Quickly exhausted at the Hot or Not game ,I decided to call it off for the night.
The next morning I woke up to a notification from someone . On closer observation ,I found that the geographical distance is more than the permitted limit on the app. Few pleasantries and one liners later , we decided to Facetime. This was more like an informal interview minus the first date nervousness. I had mentioned my address not knowing that I would have a guest from DC that night. An unexpected , but funny surprise except for my perennially embarrassed pajama clad self not knowing how to react. “You make me smile” he said . The rest of the weekend , we spent kayaking in the Charles River , ordering food from Thai takeaways and listening to Frank Sinatra. He spoke , how growing up in Multan was during the 80’s and made me well aware of our territorial and age differences . The following few months were spent figuring out imbalances while sipping vanilla latte in a small cafe in Harvard Square . Three months later as I was finishing my internship , excited for my summer trip , I realized I am leaving behind the city , a loved one and memories I wouldn’t trade for anything else.
The summer romance of course did not last . I received a text last night from a familiar number asking me about my whereabouts. I typed a 200 character text but did not send it. The text said “I guess I am trying to fall in love, happy and confused. Confused because a close friend said the day before that love is amorphous ” .
                  Seems my love is up                   And has left you with no warning                   But it's not always going                   To be this grey                  All things must pass
                  All things must pass away

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When LAyover decides your fate

Unrequited

Dissertation and Pangs